Thursday, July 16, 2009

Can I really trust Ubuntu?



Now that I have the Ubuntu disk and have been using the "boot via CD" option, it is getting extremely tempting to go for an all out installation of Ubuntu on my hard disk, since without a proper root directory it is very difficult to install applications.

I already have Windows installed on my system, so the options I'm left with are a) format/create a partition and install Ubuntu or b) install Ubuntu on an existing partition. Obviously the second option seems the more viable one as of now since I'm in no mood to sacrifice my hard disk data. However I'm starting to have second thoughts about it, what if my hard disk gets screwed up? What if I lose data? What if my PC slows down? Is Ubuntu worth all these risks?

Well just too many worries. I'll wait till the time I'm ready to format my hard disk. Till then, I'll use the CD booting option.


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. If you don't want to take the plunge and your computer is able to boot from a USB drive, you could create a persistant USB drive. What this means is that Ubuntu would run from the USB drive without touching your existing Windows setup, but you would also be able to make changes to Ubuntu and they would be saved for the next time you boot - as opposed to a Live CD where everything is back to the default every time you reboot. It also has the advantage of being faster than a CD. You can read more about it here:

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

    ReplyDelete
  2. i could indeed try that. thank you.

    ReplyDelete